1616 is a member of the 1600 class diesel electric designed by the English Electric Co. at their Rocklea, Brisbane works and was delivered in June 1963. Designed for branch line use, these units are a hood-type with a full width cab across one end. They are fitted with dual driving stations to permit operation in either direction without the requirement to turn the locomotive. 1616 was condemned by the Queensland Railways during 1991 when it was purchased and reconditioned by QPSR.
One of over 200 locomotives of this class, PB 15 448 was built by Walkers Ltd. Maryborough, Queensland to the design of locomotive engineer H. Horniblow, and was allocated construction number 91 of 1908. The tender which is carried on two four wheel bogies, carries 4ton (4064kg) of coal and 1800 gallons (8123ltr) of water. It was sold to K.R. Hunter’s Pioneer Valley Amusement Park after it’s retirement in August 1970, from where a group of Ipswich and Brisbane enthusiasts purchased it when that Amusement Park failed, forming the basis of Queensland Pioneer Steam Railway.
Built by Perry Engineering of Gawler, South Australia (S/N 265) in November 1924, Kilrie is one of twelve similar units purchased by the State Rivers and Water Supply Commission of Victoria for use on the construction of the Hume Weir on the Murray River near Albury. After use at the Hume Reservoir from 1925 to 1935, it was placed in storage until sold to the Pioneer Sugar Mill near Brandon, Queensland. It was converted from a 0-4-0T to its present 0-4-2T configuration during 1960 and at the same time converted to burn oil. Sold during 1978 to the Australian Narrow Gauge Preservation Society. Kilrie was purchased by QPSR on the 27th of April 2008 thanks to donations made by the Ipswich City Council, Babcock & Brown and Payce. In its time at Swanbank it has been restored to proper working order.
Bubba was built by Com-eng to a Western Australian design for the Mount Isa Mines Group. 5802 served its entire life shunting wagons at Mica Creek Power Station. Here it shunted the vast yard wagons. She was overhauled at Zig Zag Railway and was purchased by Queensland Pioneer Railway in 2020 with the generous assistance of the Ipswich City Council.
Locomotive 5801 {William Brown} is a Clyde model from 1954. William Brown is a diesel hydraulic from the Pioneer Mill near Brandon, becoming the replacement to QPSR’s own Kilrie. For a number of years, the two locos worked through the cane fields together. William Brown was originally called “McDesme” and was donated to the Mackay Heritage Railway. Here, a small team, lead by a Mr William Brown, commenced a full restoration of the locomotive. It moved to QPSR in 2022 during a locomotive shortage and the restoration was finished off. It was given the name “William Brown” in honour of the Mackay Volunteer who started the hard work rebuilding her all those years ago.
Carriage 443 was built in February 1903 at North Ipswich Railway Workshops, originally one of five First Class suburban brake vans. The job of this carriage was to provide extra braking force for a train and as an emergency hand brake, should an unfitted train become uncoupled from the locomotive and become a runaway train.
Clerestory roof style, first class suburban brake van converted to 2nd class lavatory carriage March 1924. The carriage was decommissioned in March 1982 and restored by QPSR to the 1924 seating configuration. 443 is called the “Cowboy Car” due to a very popular version of the American “caboose”.
Carriage 773 was built in the North Ipswich Railway Workshops in 1913, as an order of twenty similar carriages. Several carriages of the same type were built between 1936 and 1963. 773 is a second Class lavatory carriage; however, between 1936 and 1963, it shifted between First and Second Class operations. In 1973, it was converted to a prison carriage to carry prisoners and guards between Brisbane and Townsville, until it was decommissioned in February 1987. In early 2000, it was obtained by QPSR, restored and recommissioned in 2005.
On the walls of the prison van, many etchings from former prisoners and former police officers can be seen throughout the carriage.
Carriage 454 was built in Ipswich railway Workshops in 1904, styled as a traditional “American” coach. 454 has led a very diverse and interesting life. Starting as a standard suburban coach, it was rebuilt as a Saloon Grandstand carriage, used on the Cairns to Kuranda line.
Fitted with high wing back chairs, angled at 45 degrees for scenic viewing, with toilets offset. 454 was retired from suburban service in the late 1970s. She has worked fairly regularly since coming to QPSR and was restored to the saloon look of the 1920s in an extensive and much needed restoration. The name “Babcock & Brown” was given in honour of the company that provided funds so that QPSR could buy its own steam locomotive, Kilrie.
Carriage 110 is a modest brake van that was built in North Ipswich Railway Workshops in 1885. It worked on some of the Queensland branch lines all over the state until it was decommissioned in March 1982. It is currently QPSR’s oldest operating vehicle. Designed with swing doors and latitudinal seating, which are benches running along the sides of the vehicle. No toilet for passengers but a postal section is included in the guards’ compartment.
In 2025, 110 turned 150 years old. For the 110’s centennial year, it was given a full restoration by QPSR, to enable locals and tourists from around the world, the privilege of experiencing rail travel from the 19th century.
Representing the most modern carriage of QPSR’s timber set of carriages, 1400 was built in North Ipswich in 1951 as a lavatory brake van with composite seating in First and Second class configuration. It was altered to its present layout as a Second Lavatory brake van in July 1980. BVL1400 was altered for the longer country services, for use on the Brisbane Valley and Kingaroy branch lines for mixed freight and a partitioned guard office with its own private lavatory. Unfortunately, it was decommissioned in June 1989, at which point it joined QPSR’s fleet.
The Lander carriages were built in 1953 in Rocklea as part of the first batch of the Sunlander fleet, which was set to replace the “Sunshine Express”. The Sunlander traveled between Cairns and Brisbane for over 61 years and the carriages were still present on the final Sunlander journey.
The lander carriages were also used for the Capricornian service to Rockhampton before being replaced by electric trains in July 1989. The lander set had its last public run on 31st of December 2014, before decommissioning. QPSR had formed a proposal to preserve four of the Lander carriages (Blackstone, Tropics, Silkstone, Limestone) in the spirit of bringing back luxury fine dining on the train.
At the Queensland Pioneer Steam Railway, we treat all passengers with respect and courtesy and we kindly ask that our team is treated the same. By clicking the button below and booking a ticket, you agree to behave politely toward our volunteers, following our behaviour guidelines so that we can foster a safe and friendly environment for everyone to enjoy the heritage experience.